Tower Grove Park was gifted to the City of St. Louis by wealthy merchant Henry Shaw (the founder of the Missouri Botanical Garden) in 1868. He left the tract of land to the city with the caveat that it remain a park forever. Shaw’s interest in European travel are reflected in the Victorian architecture found in monuments and buildings around the park.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
In 2010 the stone wall surrounding the Cemetery Gate was destroyed when a car left the road and careened into the stone structure crumbling parts of the wall. The archway in the Cemetery Gate was also crumbling. Since the gate and stone wall were building circa 1870, it was imperative that the repairs maintain the integrity of the original design and look while serving as a safe pedestrian entrance to the park. B & K Tuckpointing was hired to repair the damaged wall and reconstruct the top of the archway. The entire monument was cleaned and tuckpointed resulting in a dramatic transformation.